Thursday, March 30, 2017

3-30-3017: TRUMP ACCEPTS AMONA SETTLEMENT EXCEPTION, US OFFICIAL SAYS

http://www.jpost.com/American-Politics/Trump-accepts-Amona-settlement-exception-US-official-says-485720

Earlier in the day, Israel's security cabinet approved a new settlement that was promised by Netanyahu to former residents of Amona.


WASHINGTON - The Trump administration accepts Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's rationale for approving one exceptional new settlement for evacuees of Amona, an Israeli outpost in the West Bank that was dismantled last month, one senior administration official told The Jerusalem Post on Thursday.

Earlier in the day, Israel's security cabinet approved a new settlement that was promised by Netanyahu to former residents of Amona. Their outpost was evacuated after Israel's High Court ruled it was an illegal construction.

"We would note that the Israeli prime minister made a commitment to the Amona settlers prior to President Trump laying out his expectations, and has consistently indicated that he intended to move forward with this plan," the US official said.

Construction will take place in Emek Shilo, and will represent the first new settlement in the West Bank approved in two decades.

During his visit to the White House last month, Netanyahu was asked by US President Donald Trump to "hold back" on new settlement construction– a position the prime minister will respect going forward, US officials say.

The president's special representative for international negotiations, Jason Greenblatt, has been shuttling around the region in an effort to reboot Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

"Going forward, and as we move into more detailed discussions regarding the possibilities for advancing Israeli-Palestinian peace, the Israeli government has made clear that Israel's intent is to adopt a policy regarding settlement activity that takes President Trump's concerns into consideration," the US official added.

No comments:

Post a Comment